3.30.2010

You must obey God rather than man if you're in awe.
-Badlands by the Psalters


This past weekend I took a wee bit of a trip to New Mexico. While there, it wasn't the most exhilirating experience of my entire life (though, past trips have been), I realized something about everywhere:

Roads.

Now, until I actually wrote the word "roads" I was originally not going to make some profound statement, but that's the way God works in me. It just hits me.

BUT! I will start off with the obvious. There are roads EVERYWHERE. It doesn't make any sense how someone could've gone all the way down Raton Pass just to explore, and then discover Ute Lake all the way out in the middle of butt no where and decide it'd be a good investment to pave roads all the way out to that point.

I mean...someone discovered that place! It's just so ridiculous to think of. Maybe you're not catching the same revelation, in which I believe you should go on a drive (right. freaking. now.) in the country and look around.

Two feet from the road isn't paved, so why didn't they pave there? How long did it take them to pave all these dang roads all the way out into the middle of NO WHERE? How much did it cost? Was is a businessman proposing it to be a good move to pave all the way out there? or was it just a farmer claiming his land? I DON'T KNOW AND IT BOGGLES MY BRAIN!

I've been out to New Mexico quite a few times, but this time it hit me. If the United States, even from the short 7 hour distance between Colorado and New Mexico, is HUGE -how much bigger is the world? And then how much bigger is the universe! And then how much bigger is GOD!

The news can make us aware of the different parts of the world, but until you're out there it doesn't make sense to accept you're small.

I'm tiny. I'm a speck. You're a speck. We specks have stories, but we specks are still tiny!

It doesn't make sense to pave roads all the way out into the middle of no where just so that one person per 20 miles can have a ranch. It doesn't make sense, but it's still there and I am so thankful for it!

Spending time on Ute Lake and seeing Mills Canyon atop a 500 foot cliff changes my perspective on things.

EPIC TRANSITION!

I don't want to spend my life following the paths of city streets. I don't want to go to the same destination as everyone. I want to drive on those back country roads, seemingly leading to no where, and occasionally off-roading it in order to find a jewel of Jesus.

Naturally this is all metaphorical for life pavement.

Maybe you want to follow in the footsteps of others and possibly make it even better than they did. Maybe you want to start where they left off.

Maybe you're like me and want to do something completely different.

Maybe you want to take the dangerous route (and if you want to be literal about it, I would suggest going here for entertainment)

I'm going to go where no one's gone before. You should consider doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment